Henry Sands was born October 18, 1867 most likely in Ballincurry Townland, south of Rostrevor, County Down.1 He was the third son of Daniel Sands and Susan Sloan.
Henry's father, Daniel Sands, occupied parcels 9 and 13 in Ballincurry from 1867 until his death in the first quarter of 1900. He leased it first from John Henry Offley and later from William C Heron. When Daniel died his eldest son Thomas took over the farm.2 Six of Daniel's children emigrated to the southeast section of Cleveland, Ohio, called Newburgh.
Most of Henry Sands' information said that he arrived in the United States about 1887, and there is a record of a 20 year old male laborer, Hy. Sands, aboard the Nevada which sailed from Liverpool and Queenstown and arrived in New York on June 1, 1887.3 In 1891 he was working as a polisher and living with his brother James at 42 Ellsworth. This street ran south from about 8700 Woodland, but is not on the map anymore. Henry was naturalized in 1895.4
Henry Sands and Mary Winter were married on November 24, 1897, in Cleveland,5 and their first of their seven children was born in September of the following year. In 1900 the Sands were living at 306 Union St, which became 7510 Union Ave after 1906.6 By 1907 they were at 9512 Heath Ave, where the family remained until at least 1940. Henry worked as an iron moulder in a foundry for most of his life.7
Henry Sands died at home of acute nephritis on July 29, 1916, and is buried in Calvary Cemetery along with his wife.8
As I mentioned, Henry had brothers and sisters who also emigrated to Cleveland. They are:
James Sands, arrived 1885, married Bridget McKeon;
John Sands, arrived 1897, married Mary Quinn;
Frank Sands, arived 1899, married Mary Callan;
Alice Sands, arrived 1902, married Patrick O'Brien and lived in Chicago;
Susan Sands, arrived 1904, married Michael McGuire.9
I focused on Henry Sands in this family because my mother graduated from high school with his youngest daughter.
For more on the family of John Sands' wife, Mary Quinn, see: Hugh Quinn, Kilkeel to Cleveland.
1. "Ireland Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F5G9-Y9F : accessed 20 Sep 2013), Henry Sands, 18 Oct 1867.
2. Images of the Valuation Revision Books, at the Public Records of Northern Ireland (PRONI) website.
3. New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957, at ancestry.com
4. Cleveland City Directories, images at ancestry.com
5. Cuyahoga County, Ohio, Marriage Records and Indexes, 1810-1973, at ancestry.com.
6. "United States Census, 1900," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MMZF-CD3 : accessed 07 Sep 2013), Mary Sands, 1900.
7. City directories and census records.
8. "Ohio, Deaths, 1908-1953," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X8N2-4G3 : accessed 07 Sep 2013), Henry Sands, 1916.
9. Various records: ellisisland.org, Cuyahoga County Marriages, etc.