James Cusack, 1922
This website includes a picture of the 1922 second grade class at Holy Name Parish on Broadway on the southeast side of Cleveland. My mother was in that class and identified most of the children in the picture. She identified the third young man from our left in the front row as James Cusack. There was a James Cusack living in the area, described below, who is probably him.
James Cusack was born December 23, 1913, in Ohio, the son of James Cusack and Anne Rice.1,2 In 1920 the family was living at 7424 Spafford and included James' brothers and sisters William, Eddie, Joseph, and Kathleen who is recorded here as Helen C. for some reason. In 1922 they were living at 7817 Homestead Avenue.3,
James was married to Nellie Kershaw about 1945 in Cuyahoga County. Nellie was five years younger than James. Her family also lived in Holy Name Parish, in the Newburgh section of Cleveland. They were at 8911 Booth Avenue in 1920 and 1922, and at 3939 East 93rd. Nellie's parents were Henry Kershaw and Nellie Brooks.5,6,7,8,9
James and Nellie Cusack raised two boys and two girls.10
James Cusack died on April 7, 1970, in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.11 Nellie remarried a man named Millwater. She died in 2013 in Sebring, Florida, and is buried in Forest Lawn Memorial Gardens in Fort Lauderdale.10
There is a family tree which includes James Cusack, his wife, and his family at ancestry.com at Robinson/Brazytis/McGraw/Cusack Family Tree, http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/4398081/person/-1584576306. It says that James' father was born in Gortnaclassagh, County Mayo, Ireland, and his mother in Derryloughan, also County Mayo.
If you are a relative or descendant of James Cusack you are welcome to download the class picture and pass it on. If you would like a larger image, with possibly better resolution, contact me.
1. Florida Death Index, at ancestry.com, for James Joseph Cusack, 1970
2. Cleveland Public Library's Cleveland Necrology File for James J Cusack, 1960.
3. 1920 Census, at ancestry.com, James Cusick household.
4. Cleveland City Directory, 1922, James Cusack.
5. Cuyahoga County Probate Court, "Historical Marriages," online database, Volume 273, page 140, Historical Marriage of Cusack/James/J to Kershaw/Nellie/E.
6. Cleveland City Directory, 1920, Henry Kershaw.
7. Cleveland City Directory, 1922, Henry Kershaw.
8. 1930 Census, at ancestry.com, Henry Kershaw household.
9. Ohio Marriage Records and Indexes, ancestry.com, marriage of Henry Kershaw and Nellie Brooks, 1917.
10. Obituary of Nellie (Kershaw) Millwater, found at findagrave.com.
11. Cleveland Public Library's Cleveland Necrology File for James J Cusack, 1970.