Rose McNamee, 1922
This website includes a picture of the 1922 second grade class at Holy Name Parish on Broadway on the southeast side of Cleveland. My mother was in that class and identified most of the children in the picture. She identified the second young woman from our right in the second row as Rosanna McNamee. There was a Rose/Rosina McNamee living in the area, described below, who is probably her.
Rose or Rosina McNamee was born about 1914 in Cleveland, the daughter of James McNamee and Anna Famera. 1 In 1920 the family was living on Sladden Avenue in Garfield Heights. Besides Rose and her parents, there were her two brothers James and Charles. In 1922 they were still on Sladden Ave; Rose's father was working as an auto mechanic.2, 3
On July 18, 1936, Rose was married in Cuyahoga County, to Carl Smigel, and in 1940 they were living at 9002 Rosewood, Cleveland.1, 4 Rose (McNamee) Smigel died on the 23rd of October, 1961, and is buried in Calvary Cemetery. Carl died in 1993. They had four children.5, 6
The Parsons Family Tree family tree at ancestry.com includes Rose McNamee and her family. The tree says that Rose's McNamee grandparents were born in Lanarkshire, Scotland.
If you are a relative or descendant of Rose McNamee you are welcome to download the class picture and pass it on.
1. Cuyahoga County, Ohio, Marriage Records and Indexes, 1810-1973, at ancestry.com, citing Vol 178-179; Page: 319
2. "United States Census, 1920," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MD1V-MW9 : accessed 28 Jun 2014), Rosina Mcnamee in household of James J Mcnamee, Garfield Heights, Cuyahoga, Ohio, United States; citing sheet 18A, family 371, NARA microfilm publication T625, FHL microfilm 1821375
3. 1922 Cleveland City at ancestry.com
4. "United States Census, 1940," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KW5D-RLL : accessed 28 Jun 2014), Carl Smigel, Ward 15, Cleveland City, Cleveland City, Cuyahoga, Ohio, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 92-388, sheet 13A, family 254, NARA digital publication of T627, roll 3218.
5. Rose A Smigel, October 25, 1961, Cleveland Necrology File, Reel #156, Source: Plain Dealer. At http://dxsrv4.cpl.org/WebZ/Authorize?sessionid=0&next=/html/obit_start.html&dbchoice=1:dbname=necr&bad=html/authofail.html&style=noframe
6. Cleveland News Index, http://www-catalog.cpl.org/CLENIX