Continued from John Hankard, of East Boston, Massachusetts.
Another way to find a Irish townland of origin is to trace the brothers and sisters of the person you are interested in, in this case the John Hankard who married Anastasia Lawton. His siblings' records might have the information we are looking for. There were a few other Hankards in the Boston area at the same time as John. Were they related?
The New York Passenger Lists at familysearch.org have a record of a Michael Hankard, 24, and Honora Hankard, 22, arriving in New York in 1853. They are listed immediately after each other.1 The ages match the two children baptized in Cork that we mentioned in the previous article.
There is a Michael Hankard, 26, living with John and Anastasia in 1855.2 He may be the same Michael Hankard living in Lynn in 1860.3 But when he died in 1862, his death record says his father's name was Edward,4 and he named a son Edmund. It would have been nice to find his marriage record, but I couldn't.
Also in Lynn in 1862 and 1863 is a William Hanker (Michael's surname was spelled the same way in the directories).5 This William Hankard was married in Lynn in 1854 to Ellen Ahern. His marriage record said his father's name was Edmund.6 So we can be reasonably sure that William and Michael were brothers, but probably not the brothers of our John Hankard.
There is a Honora Hankard, 20, who marries John Foley, 27, in Boston on November 30, 1854. The marriage record says that her father's name was Thomas.7 She could be the child baptized in Cork in 1834 and the young lady who arrived with Michael Hankard in 1853. She might be John Hankard's sister. Unfortunately, I can't find any record of her after the marriage.
So although we did not find the townland of origin using only the online records, it is pretty safe to say that John Aloysius Hankard's paternal line was from East Cork, Ireland, with a possibility of being from Killeagh parish.
Some other places to look that might turn up a better answer are:
Death notices for John, Michael and William Hankard and Honora (Hankard) Foley.
Naturalization records for the male Hankards.
The church marriage record for John Hankard and Anastasia Lawton, which might say "of County ___"
Search for Missing Friends, at AmericanAncestors.org or Ancestry.com.
1. "New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1891," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/275L-BL6 : accessed 03 Jan 2014), Honora Hankard, 1853.
2. "Massachusetts, State Census, 1855," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MQWN-497 : accessed 25 Dec 2013), John Hankerd, 1855.
3. 1860; Census Place: Lynn Ward 6, Essex, Massachusetts; Roll: M653_495; Page: 872
4. Ancestry.com, Massachusetts, Death Records, 1841-1915 about Michael Hankard
5. Lynn City Directory at ancestry.com
6. "Massachusetts, Marriages, 1841-1915," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N4MP-XSB : accessed 04 Jan 2014), William Hankard and Ellen Ahern, 1854.
7. "Massachusetts, Marriages, 1841-1915," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NW5R-BWW : accessed 03 Jan 2014), John Foley and Honora Hankard, 1854.